Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Featured Shop: Creations by Kelly

Featured Shop:  Creations by Kelly

Shop Description:  Our daughter, Kaylee, was born pre-maturely, but healthy, in the summer of 2006. When she came home from the hospital, she was having trouble eating and had to be readmitted the following week due to dehydration (that summer was up over 90 degrees every day!) and feeding issues. She was observed in the NICU for a week and determined doing well enough to go home.

Unfortunately, when we went into get her, my husband and I were brought into the "back room" where no parent wants to go with the doctor. We were told our sweet little girl had hydrocephalus and had to go into the city hospital to have a shunt placed to help the pressure subside. The ambulance to take her in was on its way!!!

Throughout the years, we have had very little complications due to her shunt placement, but we have had many other medical concerns with Kaylee, stemming from her hydrocephalus. I have always had it in my mind to figure out how I could "give back" and support those that have helped our little girl survive and thrive, and that is how I came up with the idea for my business.

Each piece is handcrafted and put together by my own hands and therefore, no two pieces will be exactly alike, just the way no two kids with hydrocephalus are the same. 
 
 
Where Did You Learn Your Craft:   I took a couple of classes to get the basics and have really tried to allow self-expression for each piece. As you will see in my shop, each piece can be slightly different, but unique as it is made by my hands.  This passion of creating each piece comes from my daughter's condition and knowing everyone that lives with this condition is different, there is no "way to recognize a hydro kid," everyone has different symptoms, as different medical conditions can go along with the condition.  This view is not restricted by creating items a certain way or using a certain method, it again allows me to just freely create!!  I hope this makes sense!!!
 
 
What Inspires You:   Not what inspires me, but who!  My daughter Kaylee is the inspiration for my creations.  She is the strongest little girl I know, from when she was born and to this day!
 
 
Biography:  I live in Massachusetts with my hubby and 2 wonderful children.  Spending time as a family is my most favorite thing in the world.  I have been creating items for about 1 1/2 years and hope to expand my business and raise awareness about Hydrocephalus. 
 
 
Featured Items:



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Where to Find Creations by Kelly:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...